11.10.2011

London | 2011

Apologies to all my Bookface friends that got inundated with every step I took in London.  It was an incredible trip.

And it was a quick trip.  Just 5 days total - 2 days of travel - so, really 3 days.  And 2 of those days I was on my own.  And I managed the underground totally solo (gave myself lots of air high-fives), which I thought was a pretty big deal.  Granted, the tube is easy.  London has signs that actually mean something and are helpful, as opposed to the signage I'm used to here, which are in some confused Yankee gibberish.

Allow me to share some of my highlights......oh, and all images taken by my own hand and phone.

Day 1: Tate Modern, St. Paul's Cathedral, Occupy London



Tacita Dean | 35mm projected on 45' wall
Ai Weiwei | Sunflower Seeds

This was, perhaps, one of the most moving pieces I saw at the Tate Modern and it just doesn't translate in a photo.  Just imagine a pile of seeds, maybe 20' in circumference.  And then realize that each, individual seed is handmade of porcelain and hand painted.  And then google Ai Weiwei.




View of St. Paul's Cathedral from Millenium Bridge

Organized, orderly, and clean Occupy London surrounding St. Paul's


Day 2 | Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon, Mallais, and a walk

London cab.  Round and roomy.  And polite.
Tate Britain

Lucian Freud  
Francis Bacon | Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion
Sir John Everett Mallais | Ophelia
Enormous handblown chandelier 

Parliament
Big Ben through the gate
Big Ben not through a gate

London Eye, Big Ben, Londoners
Pretty Red on Black
The View from The National Gallery
Day 3 | Random Sites
The Victoria Tower Gardens








See if you can find: dingly dell, haunch, rump


Yeah, apparently I don't smile so much when I travel.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails